Minimum required PyKDE/PyQt
|Submitted: Dec 18 2005|
Updated: Jun 10 2007
SuperKaramba interface to Kopete. Intended to diplay a subset of your most important contacts on the desktop.
Note: The first time it runs, it will show all online contacts. Once you run the config dialog and click OK, it will only show the contacts you have selected to be monitored.
- KDE >= 3.5.0
- SK >= 0.37
- Python >= 2.4
- PyQt >= 3.14
- PyKDE (Optional): Only tested with PyKDE from the kdebindings module. Gentooers please use the (kde-base/pyde-3.5.0 ebuild)
- kttsd (Optional): Enables speaking out of notifications
- Displays the Kopete contact list on the desktop. Support automatic and configurable positioning/resizing
- Displayed contacts are configurable
- Has the buddy pounce/notification feature. See screenshot of config dialog
- Has basic Kopete controls (Online, Offline, Away and Start Chat)
- Indicates basic presence status (online, offline and away) for all contacts
- Resource (dcop calls) usage is independent of number of contacts
- For theme developers. I have built on the SKoot API to create basic layout management and event dispatching classes. They are independent of SKopete (see skopete_gui.py). If there's interest, I'll post a link to the API docs. Similarly the communication with Kopete is in a independent backend (kopete.py)
- Ensure Kopete is running
- In the config dialog, you can specify which contacts should be monitored, and also whether to display offline contacts
- By default SKopete, automatically resizes and repositions itself as contacts go online/offline. If you want it to stay in place, choose the manual layout policy in the Look&Feell section of the config dialog
- You can select custom photos as well a notifications and pounces for all contacts in the Buddies section of the config dialog.
- If you make any changes to the contact list in Kopete, you should reload SKopete via the right click menu
- If you have a non-english KDE desktop and no PyKDE, contact status updates will take O(n) queries
- Uses undocumented/unnamed Kopete DCOP interfaces.
- Resource (dcop calls) usage is O(n) in number of accounts you have
- Only tested with the MSN and Yahoo protocols, feedback on other protocols is welcome.
- Popup menu icons won't show if you don't have PyKDE, this is limitation of SuperKaramba, that I don't care enough to work around. One possible, (untested) workaround is to unzip the .skz file and run the theme using the .theme file
- Ensure you satisy all the REQUIREMENTS from above
- Is Kopete running?
- If you have enabled PyKDE in the config dialog, please try disabling it first, as PyKDE seems to cause a lot of bugs.
- In order to help me debug it, please run superkaramba in a terminal like so:
superkaramba skopete.skz > skopete-log 2>&1
Post the top 20 lines from the file skopete-log
- Patch to add support for pykde >= 3.16.0
- Added support for away/available messages
- Added support for Gadu-Gadu
- Fixed IRC bug with kopete 0.12
- Fixed (I hope) problems with IRC contacts
- The subprocess.Popen.communicate() method is not signal safe, added a workaround. For those of you that get 'Interrupted system call' errors on running SKopete in a terminal, this release should be of help. If you continue to get them, try installing the latest PyKDE and enabling PYKDE for DCOP calls in the config dialog.
- Patched so that the above error doesn't prevent the config dialog from loading.
- Fixed memory leak caused by incorrect use of PyKDE for DCOP calls. This will only have affected you if you enabled PyKDE for DCOP calls in the config dialog
- Display pics are now centered if they are smaller than the configured picture size
- Added localization support via KLocale. If you have a non-english desktop and a working PyKDE, you should upgrade to this release
- Fixed bug that was causing all contacts to be displayed, not just monitored contacts. Bug was introduced in the last release, by an indentation error of all things.
- Switched to using KDE File chooser dialog
- Squashed a couple of bugs in the custom pic display logic
- Coded an ugly hack to achieve correct online status detection on non-english systems. I would appreciate testing of this.
- Moved to using svn and eric3 for development
- Fixed bug where contacts status was not being correctly detected on a non-english KDE installation. Unfortunately, this makes PyKDE a requirement.
- Coded workaround to have display pictures scaled smoothly.
- Added preliminary unicode support. This really needs testing as I don't have any contacts with non ascii characters in their display names, and I can test only so many cases by manual modification
- Added a config option to allow manual positioning, by popular demand. Since I don't use this feature, it hasn't been tested extensively. Bug reports are welcome
- Added the ability to set a custom display picture for a contact. Again bug reports are welcome.
- Also changed the config dialog to display scaled instead of cropped pictures
- Added a config option to toggle the use of PyKDE for DCOP calls, as people seem to be having trouble with it. It is disabled by default. Enable it for a speed-up.
- Changed pidof kopete to ps -C kopete -o pid= as some distros (fedora) don't have pidof in the users PATH
- Implemented the DCOP calls in PyKDE (if available). This will make the loading of the contact list much faster.
- Fixed a bug that was causing one contact (the last in the list not to be loaded)
- Fixed addressbook contacts not displaying bug. Also changed logic for detection of self contact.
- Code cleanups/bug fixes
- Fixed to be compatible with PyQt versions >= 3.14
- Added code to handle (I hope) contacts whose display names have special characters
- Version bump to stable, since I've received no bug reports