Minimum required KDE 3.2.x
|Submitted: Jun 11 2003|
Updated: Apr 19 2007
KSmoothDock is a cool desktop panel (like KDE's kicker) for KDE 3.2 and above with smooth zooming (2 modes: normal and parabolic). Its aim is to provide a cool alternative/complement to kicker. As it is intended for KDE/Linux, its behaviour will be like that of kicker.
- Programming language: C++
- Libraries used: KDE 3.2 (or above)
Hope it will be useful for you!
It seems that automake-1.9 is not backward compatible with automake-1.7, so please upgrade to automake-1.9 before you compile KSmoothDock. To check the version of automake on your system, run:
TO INSTALL: Unzip, cd to the directory ksmoothdock then run:
(if when you run "ksmoothdock", nothing happens, then it is likely that your KDE dir is not standard. In this case, either:
- cd to the directory ksmoothdock/src, then run "./ksmoothdock", or
- Re-do the above sequence (./configure ...), but instead of "./configure", type:
IF YOU BUILD ANY BINARY PACKAGE: please send it to me, thanks.
BUG REPORT & FEATURE REQUEST & PATCH & TRANSLATION GUIDE (INTERNATIONALISATION): Please visit KSmoothDock's homepage:
SCREENSHOTS: normal zoom mode and parabolic zoom mode (#1), config dialog (#2), quick launchers editor (#3)
1. System tray? I will implement this feature very soon.
2. Drag-and-drop? I will implement this very soon.
3. Real transparency? I will implement this when the technology (XGl or any other) becomes more mature, stable and widely used. At the moment, it is not so yet.
DANG Viet D(z)ung
- New command line options:
--resetConfig reset configuration data
--resetLaunchers reset quick launchers data
- Fixed some display bugs (on both normal and parabolic zoom modes) in v4.4.
- Parabolic zoom mode now works correctly under latest KDE releases.
- The "auto-hiding" feature has been re-implemented
- Added right-click popup menu for pager, taskbar (re-added) and clock
- Dock Position Conflict Dialog: added an option not to show it again
- The range of icon sizes have been increased
- Desktop icon area is now adjusted correctly
- Some other minor fixes.
- The Parabolic Zoom mode has been considerably improved.
- A task that demands attention now has better blinking notification.
- The dock now does not steal mouse/keyboard focus when being zoomed in
- Fixed other minor bugs.
- The popup menu of a task button has been removed, because while it is of little use, it has problems with the parabolic zoom's animation.
- Blink a task's icon when it demands attention
Some minor optimisations
Fixed the following bug:
- Option "Show windows from all desktops": "off" does not function properly
- Add a separator between the launchers and the taskbar when the pager is not shown.
Fixed the following bugs:
- Normal zoom mode, LEFT or RIGHT position : the dock does not highlight the launcher on click acknowledgement.
- Normal zoom mode: a tiny part of the dock is not updated correctly.
- Parabolic zoom mode, LEFT position: drawing bug.
- Parabolic zoom mode: mouse click still works outside the visible area of the dock.
- About dialog: some text corrected.
v4.0: Redesign and rewrite the program from scratch. Thus it should now run better overall and is easier to maintain (fix bugs, implement new features...) than previous versions.
- POSITION SETTING: now the dock can be set to one of four positions on the screen: TOP, BOTTOM, LEFT, RIGHT.
- Switch zoom mode now does not require restarting the dock.
- Left click on the clock now shows the calendar.
- Add a "create a new link to folder" button in Edit Quick Launch Menu dialog.
- The pager now displays mini-wallpapers correctly when the dock starts.
- Fixed other minor bugs.