|Minimum required KDE 4.x|
|Submitted: Aug 18 2009|
Updated: May 7 2013
A fast translator and web query plasmoid for KDE
- translates the clipboard contents or submits it to a search engine of your choice simply by clicking on the icon or pressing the keyboard shortcut. The corresponding page gets opened in the standard web-browser. The query can also be entered manually in a text field instead of using the clipboard.
- many search engines preconfigured: leo.org, pons.de, google, wikipedia, duden.de, open dictionary, etc... The plasmoid can be used for many other things than just translations.
- new search engines can easily be added.
- fast switching between different translation languages or search engines.
KDE4 >= 4.2
installation from source
You will need the utility cmake and some development packages. To install them:
Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install cmake kdebase-workspace-dev kdelibs5-dev
SUSE: sudo zypper install cmake libkde4-devel kdebase4-workspace-devel
To install the plasmoid, unpack the archive, go to it's main directory and execute this commands:
cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
sudo make install
After that, the plasmoid should show up in the add widgets dialog.
If not, you can try to execute:
killall plasma-desktop && plasma-desktop
optional: import GPG-Key:
for those who download Babeleo through the Ubuntu PPA (see download links below), the GPG key of the PPA can be imported this way:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 7AB1A390
The fish icons are modified versions of an icon in the Crystal Clear icon set by Everaldo Coelho. File Crystal_Clear_app_babelfish_vector.svg (LGPL)
Comments are always appreciated, positive or negative!
If you don't like the app, feel free to tell me why, so that I can maybe improve it.
Thanks for voting! :)
- more sorting possibilities for the search engines.
- easy-to-use install script.
- more default search engines.
- add offline dictionaries, for example integration of ding (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~fri/ding/)
if you update Babeleo from a version older than 0.4, please remove the plasmoid from the panel and add it again before use.
update 06.05.2013: New packages for Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) and 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)
update 01.05.2013: New package for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)
- new AUTHORS file and updated credits
- new packages for SUSE and Ubuntu
- global shortcut for triggering a query works again
- added a possibility for a global shortcut to open the manual query dialog
- added some more search engines to the default list
- automatic download of icons for the search engines. Babeleo fetches the favicon from the web page of the engine.
- fixed bug which caused plasma to crash
- alphabetical sorting of search engines in the menus.
- added a few more search engines to the default list.
- some of the search engines are now hidden by default.
- source code cosmetics.
- added a cool new configuration interface fo search engines:
- possibility to add, remove and edit search engines.
- possibility to hide some of the configured search engines.
- possibility to define for each search engine if it should appear in the main context menu or in the "other engines" menu.
- changed plasmoid name as displayed in the "add widgets..." dialog to "Babeleo translator" for easier finding after installation.
- Babeleo now doesn't use the global clipboard content anymore, but the
currently highlighted text. There is no need to type Ctrl+C anymore,
regardless of the klipper-settings.
- removed a bug which could cause plasma to crash directly after a fresh install or an update from an older version of Babeleo.
- code restructured to easily add more search engines.
- added a few engines to show what's possible. I will add a configuration window to manage the engines in a later version. For now, new engines can be added easily by those who want by editing the sources (babeleo.cpp, after line 137).
- Tooltip shows the current engine.
- improved the behaviour of the text field for manual entry of the query when it gets opened and when it loses focus.
- cleaned up the code.
- added the possibility to enter a query manually in a small textfield, instead of taking it from the clipboard.
- initial release.