KDE-Apps.org Applications for the KDE-Desktop
 ScribusStuff.org Files for Scribus
 BlenderStuff.org Textures and Objects for Blender
 VLC-Addons.org Themes and Extensions for VLC
 KDE-Help.org Support for your KDE Desktop
 GNOME-Help.org Support for your GNOME Desktop
 Xfce-Help.org Support for your Xfce Desktop
openDesktop.orgopenDesktop.org:   Applications   Artwork   Linux Distributions   Documents    LinuxDaily.com    Linux42.org    OpenSkillz.com

Artwork
News
Groups
Knowledge
Events
Forum
People
Jobs

- global .- user support .- artwork .- developer .
goto page: prev  ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 ...

Needing Feedback

by OmniUni on: May 13 2005

Score 50%

I have made some Noatun Skins, and posted them on KDE-Look.org. The only problem is that I get no feedback. I want to be a productive member of the community, but I need some comments of what people want to see, if they like what I do, or if they have suggestions for improvement.

I don't mind criticism, and in fact I look forward to being told what makes my themes bad- it means that I can improve them. I still, however, need comments.

Is there a way to encourage feedback?

*Note: if you read this post and want to give me some feedback, you can check out my skins under Noatun, Kaiman skins. Minskin and InLine are my two theme sets so far. :)

Re: Needing Feedback

by HulkProtector1 on: Jun 7 2005

Score 50%

Your skins look pretty good, but unfortunately, I don't use noatun... ever :-D. You should definitely try your skills on a css style for amarok[1]. It has quite a large userbase,(I use it exclusively) and you'll probably get alot of feedback on it.

-Sam

P.S Looking forward to the css style ;-D

[1]http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/index.php/CSS_Styles

Re: Needing Feedback

by janet on: Jun 15 2005

Score 50%

Very often I see pictures or something else voted bad to death without a single comment. It's so easy just clicking "bad" and go away. But this way one doesn't give the author the chance to change something becaue if it would be obvious to the author (as those bad-voters seem to think) what's wrong with his work - the author wouldn't have posted it.

To my mind it would be fair to comment every bad vote one makes - and I would very much appereciate if voting bad would only be possible if you enter a comment. And *every* comment on a work is valuable as long as it isn't something unqualified like "WTF" or similar - even a postive comment ;).

Bring back the shark to Kanotix!

Re: Re: Needing Feed

by nuka on: Jun 17 2005

i totally agree.

and i think that the whole voting system should be reworked as well. you need to have an account to vote, and you must leave a comment with your vote. that would stop people from voting more than once for something, and from voting without really thinking about it.

look at the nuvola set for example, 88%. id like to see one person who voted bad for that set create an icon that comes even close to teh quality of nuvola. leaving a comment and saying something like "the colors in the konqueror icon are off, maybe they should be darkened a little" is actually useful. but just giving it a bad rating for no reason just doesnt make sense. All it does is just discourage the artists. nuvola shouldnt be at 88%, it should be at 100%. It is very time consuming to create that many icons, and even if you dont like hte style, you simply cannot say that they are not excellent quality. The same applies to crystal SVG, and a lot of other great art on this site.

Re: Needing Feedback

by OmniUni on: Jun 16 2005

Score 50%

Thank you both for responding. I don't have much time at the moment for a long post, but here it is quickly:

Is there a tutorial on writing CSS styles for amaroke? if so, please point me!

I agree, to click "good" or "bad" is just too easy, and comments don't need to be long: "way too blue for my taste" or "font needs some work" or "too small" are perfectly fine.

Thanks!
Maybe I'll get around to editing this post some time...

Re: Re: Needing Feed

by nuka on: Jun 17 2005

Score 50%

try downloading an amarok theme and just hacking it. probably the best and easiest way to learn.

Re: Re: Needing Feedback

by isma on: Jun 18 2005

Score 50%

Hi, in addition to the "guess yourself" hacking method (which will be needed anyway) there are a few tips on CSS styles and other features here:

Waiting to see new styles soon.

Request

by roachofdiscord on: Jul 31 2005

Score 50%

I have a request for developers. I use 'Nicotine' very often. For those who don't know what it is, it's a linux p2p client for the *very popular* soulseek network.

It's an amazing app..better than the original soulseek client if you ask me. It also has some great chats.

I'd love to see some sort of 'Now Playing:' script for it..much like the ones made for IRC chats. I don't know if it's possible..but if anyone's interested, I'd love to see one made. Preferably one that works with amarok. Shouldn't be too hard, as amarok supports and uses various scripts to do *extra* things.

Scrollbar problem

by stic on: Aug 15 2005

Score 50%

I'm writing a style based (heavily) on dotNET. After creating the renderButton() function (or whatever it is, I wouldn't consider myself really as a programmer) I noticed that the style uses it for drawing the scrollbars, which is nice. However it doesn't work correctly, it draws some pixels in a static place, while they should move with the bar. The error _is_ in the renderButton()'s code, the incorrect pixels are drawn with drawPoint(). Does somebody know where's the problem?

Welcome to Hell - Here's your copy of Windows

Re: Scrollbar problem

by thomas12777 on: Aug 15 2005

Score 50%

not without knowing anything about your code (as you mentioned you wrote the buggy function) in general, the problem will be that QPainter::drawPoint() will receive some static values (resulting in static pixels ;) the style functions that draw the primitive and/or control functions receive a rect for the area where the element is. you need to refer to this QRect in order to draw the pixels relative to the (moving) slider (i.e. uuse e.g. "rect.top()"/"rect.left()" instead of "0" and "rect.bottom()"/"rect.right()" instead of whatever value you assume here)

Re: Re: Scrollbar pr

by stic on: Aug 17 2005

Score 50%

Thanks, that helped :) I thought it might be something like that, but didn't really find the error.

Welcome to Hell - Here's your copy of Windows

Layout puzzling

by Maxilys on: Aug 24 2005

Score 50%

My favorite Murphy's law is: "Constants aren't, variables won't". It always happens to be true sometimes.

Consider this extract from my windec code:

mainLayout = new QVBoxLayout(widget());
topSpacer = new QSpacerItem(1, 3, QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Fixed);
titleLayout = new QHBoxLayout();
midLayout = new QHBoxLayout();
bottomSpacer = new QSpacerItem(1, borderSize, QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Fixed);
mainLayout->addItem(topSpacer);
mainLayout->addLayout(titleLayout);
mainLayout->addLayout(midLayout);
mainLayout->addItem(bottomSpacer);

If the few I know about QT isn't wrong, topSpacer and bottomSpacer should expand to the width of their parent mainLayout and keep their defined height. Right?

No, their don't. Despite the fixed height! The content of titleLayout has also a fixed height and it remains so. But topSpacer and bottomSpacer expand to match the height of midLayout that should be the only expandible one.

So, I'm wondering what else could I do to fix the height of the spacers once their height is fixed?

(This illustrates the "constants aren't" part.)

And don't be affraid to be explicit and call me a newbie. I am.

(c) MXLS(r)(tm) (Patent pending)
We're living in a free world, ain't we?

Re: Layout puzzling

0 Friends
2 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

Something needs to take up the extra space. If you haven't defined anything to take up the vertical slack, Qt has to compensate somehow. If there weren't any spacers, it would space things evenly. But since there are spacers, they get the extra. That's why they are called "spacers".

What you need to do in your example is to give something some vertical stretch. Put a vertically expandable widget into midLayout (where I assume your client window will go, and everything will be just fine.

Play around with layouts in Designer. Even if you don't use .ui files, Designer will still teach you about how layouts work.

Re: Re: Layout puzzl

by Maxilys on: Aug 26 2005

Score 50%

But there were something that stretched vertically in midLayout! (I didn't paste all my code.)

Any way, that was the past. I changed my code while I was waiting for an answer.

mainLayout = new QGridLayout(widget(), 4, 1); mainLayout->setResizeMode(QLayout::FreeResize);

mainLayout->addItem(m_topSpacer, 0, 0);
mainLayout->addLayout(titleLayout, 1, 0);
mainLayout->addLayout(midLayout, 2, 0);
mainLayout->addItem(m_bottomSpacer, 3, 0);
mainLayout->setRowStretch(2, 1); // Only 3rd row will stretch.

It worked as expected on the first time. I'm wondering why I absolutely wanted to change the QGridLayout... Tsk tsk tsk!

And you're right, I should play a little with QTDesigner but I'm used to build my layouts in my mind. What You Think Is What You Get. ;-)

(c) MXLS(r)(tm) (Patent pending)
We're living in a free world, ain't we?

Windec preview vs...

by Maxilys on: Sep 12 2005

Windec preview vs. reality

Simplified extract from my sources:

QPixmap menu_icon;
if (hover)
{
menu_icon = m_client->icon().pixmap(QIconSet::Small, QIconSet::Active);
}
else
{
menu_icon = m_client->icon().pixmap(QIconSet::Small, QIconSet::Normal);
}
pufferPainter.drawPixmap(ofx, ofy, menu_icon);

It works in the windec preview of the config dialog: The menu icon gets the same hover effect as an icon in Konqueror's window. (Very nice indeed!) But it doesn't work for the windec in use. (KDE 3.4.2)

Why?

Is it some windec specific limitation? Is there another (simple) way to reproduce the system-wide hover effect? QT docs are rather bushy, can someone point me in the right direction? ;-)

(c) MXLS(r)(tm) (Patent pending)
We're living in a free world, ain't we?

Re: Windec preview vs...

by thomas12777 on: Sep 12 2005

Score 50%

to few information. your button probably misses mouse tracking (so it never gets any enter/leave event) but from that excerpt it's impossible to say what's wrong.
(link to full sources?)

Re: Re: Windec previ

by Maxilys on: Sep 13 2005

Score 50%

Apparently, it has mouse tracking.

I replaced the menu icon with another regular button and it reacts perfectly to mouse hover --exactly like any other button-- as well in preview as in "reality".

If you want to see the full sources (without hover effect for the menu icon), look at the Mallory windec sources:

I didn't change anything except to include the menu icon in the conditional (hover, down, normal) redrawing part. Any way, if there's a bug, it's not here. It works... except if it's an icon from the iconset. Very strange, indeed.

(c) MXLS(r)(tm) (Patent pending)
We're living in a free world, ain't we?

Re: Re: Re: Windec previ

by thomas12777 on: Sep 14 2005

your code is ok.
the problem is that kwin (through it's deco bridge) justprovides a basic QIconset (e.g. disabled will return an empty pixmap)
fix: #include <kiconeffect.h>
#include <kicontheme.h>
......
KIconEffect effect = KIconEffect(); QPixmap menu_icon; if(hover) menu_icon = effect.apply(m_client->icon().pixmap(QIconSet::Small, QIconSet::Normal), KIcon::Small, KIcon::ActiveState); else menu_icon = m_client->icon().pixmap(QIconSet::Small, QIconSet::Normal); pufferPainter.drawPixmap(ofx, ofy, menu_icon);
as this is not hyper efficient, you probably will best cache the pixmps and only (re)generate them on icon change
regards
ps: i guess the fake in preview just calls kiconloader, that handlethis stuff internally by creating a full iconset

Re: Re: Re: Re: Windec previ

by thomas12777 on: Sep 14 2005

Score 50%

WAHHHHHHH!!! kde-look starts to drive me nuts.
sth. (maybe in combination with my browser kills all breaks as long as i do not call <br> - <pre>..</pre> doesn't work either)
much fun reading above and sorry (btw. preview works)
Frank, tu was! ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wind

by Maxilys on: Sep 14 2005

Score 50%

Thanks. T'was hard to read ;-) but I managed.

Mallory has no pixmap cache mechanism but I know another windec that uses one. (Lots of ripping to do.) I think I'll just polish the config dialog and leave that poor menu icon in peace for the moment.

And I'm going to (try to) fill a bug report about kwin. Such an inconsistency must disappear in KDE 3.5. Well, if somebody has still some time to think about anything else but KDE 4...

(c) MXLS(r)(tm) (Patent pending)
We're living in a free world, ain't we?

Re: Windec preview vs...

by p0z3r on: Sep 13 2005

Score 50%

Also, if you see the changes in the preview window of kcontrol, and not in your normal windows.. you may have to reload kwin to see the changes. To see the new changes after compiling and installing, try this: kwin --replace &

cheers, -p0z3r

Re: Re: Windec previ

by Maxilys on: Sep 13 2005

Score 50%

Your post is the sunshine of my day. That much innocence is... refreshing. ;-)

Well, I wish it was that simple but my way of dealing with newly built windecs is more brutal and efficient: CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE. In particular when I'm patching the windec in use.

kwin deceived me once or twice in my early days. Now I know better than that.

(c) MXLS(r)(tm) (Patent pending)
We're living in a free world, ain't we?

Title of Konsole

by julitros on: Sep 22 2005

hello!,
First say i'm new here, but i'm trying hard to learn.

Second, I need to change the caption of the konsole window automatically, for example when launching one from a direct access in the desktop.
Can somebody suggest me where can I find information about customizing konsole (without menus) (colour, caption of the window)?? or how to do it??

Julitros

Re: Title of Konsole

by thomas12777 on: Sep 29 2005

dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP
dcop $KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION

Add commentAdd commentBack

How do you like Plasma 5?
 The best KDE Desktop ever.
 Definitely a nice improvement.
 Not decided yet. Haven't tried it yet.
 I do not like some of the changes.
 KDE is taking the wrong way.
 I am still sticking with KDE 3.5.
 I have no opinion, but wanted to vote anyway.

resultmore