KDE-Apps.org Applications for the KDE-Desktop
 ScribusStuff.org Files for Scribus
 BlenderStuff.org Textures and Objects for Blender
 VLC-Addons.org Themes and Extensions for VLC
 KDE-Help.org Support for your KDE Desktop
 GNOME-Help.org Support for your GNOME Desktop
 Xfce-Help.org Support for your Xfce Desktop
openDesktop.orgopenDesktop.org:   Applications   Artwork   Linux Distributions   Documents    LinuxDaily.com    Linux42.org    OpenSkillz.com

Artwork
News
Groups
Knowledge
Events
Forum
People
Jobs

- global .- user support .- artwork .- developer .
goto page: prev  ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 ...

window-dec. howto?

by skullbooks on: Jan 26 2005

hi

i'm looking for a tutorial, howto, documentation or something like that?
like the icon guide (forgot the url :() that was posted by the amarok icon contest description...

hope somebody can help me ;)

llap skullbooks

0 Friends
2 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

I've got a howto here, at link http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6332 . It is for window decoration plugins, so you need to know some C++ and Qt. If you're looking for a simple pixmap-based styles, such as for the IceWM engine, see http://www.icewm.org/themes/.

Re: Re: window-dec.

by p0z3r on: Jan 27 2005

Score 50%

I was just going through that myself, and I'm a bit confused on how you know the bits to load up the const char's for QBitmaps that you use for your QButtons. Any docs on that?

cheers,

0 Friends
2 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking how I created those bit arrays? I use the X11 utility "bitmap". Both XBM (X bitmap) and XPM (X pixmap) format images are stored as C code text. I simply used the bitmap utility to create the images, then cut and paste the arrays into the program.

Re: Re: Re: Re: wind

by p0z3r on: Jan 28 2005

Score 50%

That's exactly what I was asking about. In your example they are for QBitmaps, but in Baghira the images are png's that have a 32 bit depth and are passed into the QImage constructors. So, how do we correctly export a png into it's ascii hex counterpart to use in the QImage constructor?

I'm trying to implement someone's graphic idea and all I have is a svg that I can convert into whatever I need. Just really trying to figure out the best way to get it rolling.

cheers,

0 Friends
2 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

I haven't done this the exact way you do it. The better way is to use qembed. Look at my grover decoration as an example, and read up on qembed and uic.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

by p0z3r on: Jan 28 2005

Score 50%

Okay, I'll read up on those two. Thanks for the direction!

cheers,
-p0z3r

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

by p0z3r on: Jan 30 2005

Score 50%

Okay, I've got png's into Pixmaps and they are showing up as buttons. Now I just have to play around with the title bar and the button backgrounds a little and I'm done!
Thanks again.

cheers,
-p0z3r

Re: Re: window-dec. howt

by skullbooks on: Jan 28 2005

Score 50%

thanks... i'll have a look at the kwin howto ;)

llap skullbooks

gimp for kde

by whilo on: Jan 28 2005

Score 50%

hi, finally the gimp 2.2 is here and, as mentioned in the changelog, the core is now seperated from the gui. this means no dependencies on gtk!
therefore it shouldn't be to hard to write an kde frontend for the gimp core to integrate a "kimp". i think this should be done now, since the only really good image-editing software for kde will be krita and it is also not released yet. there will also be some differences between the gimp and krita, since krita is more for creating artwork than polishing it.

what do you think about it?

Opensource is not a matter of price.
It is a different experience of information technologies.

Re: gimp for kde

by skullbooks on: Jan 28 2005

great idea!!!!

can you do? :D

(i'm more an artist than a coder)

llap skullbooks

Re: Re: gimp for kde

by whilo on: Feb 1 2005

Score 50%

I'm sorry, I'm just learning it and would apreciate if somebody else could do it. Of course, if there is somebody who can do it, I'm willing and trying to learn kde/qt coding at the moment and I've got a lot of freetime, so I would help!!!

Opensource is not a matter of price.
It is a different experience of information technologies.

Re: Re: gimp for kde

by elektroschock on: Feb 5 2005

Score 50%

I am convinced that the KDE answer to GIMP will appear as Image viewers mature and use a common framework for filters.

For KDE graphics we need a standardized component model.

It is probably no big problem to write a gui to GIMP. But it was to be started small and usable. So the first step would be an interface to the filters.

What KIMP would adress first is to provide a different GUI, not only a new toolkit.

Re: Re: Re: gimp for

by lokheed on: Feb 14 2005

Score 50%

It wouldnt be KIMP, it would have to be kGIMP as the G doesnt stand for GTK.

Yeah? Well...you're hogging up all the ugly!

Re: gimp for kde

by blaster999 on: Jan 31 2005

Score 50%

I think this would be good especially for those who want a kde-only system or just want a consistent look'n'feel among all apps. However, gimp is a big piece of code, so creating a nice, handy and bugfree gui based on kde widgets will take time and much effort.

It is not the size of the hammer that counts. It's how you wield it.

writing styles

by Diablo82 on: Jan 31 2005

Score 50%

I was looking for a good howto to learn howto write a kde/qt style. The one in the howto section it's quite outdated, so if anyone could just give me some advice or just a link to another good howto.I'm especially interested in pixmaps styles, 'cause i would like to port some really nice gtk2 themes to qt (have you seen how many new styles do they write for gtk2/gnome? we just need more styles!!).

Linux...giving Microsoft a taste of mortality.

Re: writing styles

by blaster999 on: Jan 31 2005

Score 50%

I second that - I've found only tutorials for kde 2. Since there are new styles for kde I think there is a tutorial somewhere. I'd like to see one, since the source code for most of the styles is not self-evident and poorly commented.

It is not the size of the hammer that counts. It's how you wield it.

Re: Re: writing styl

by whilo on: Feb 1 2005

Score 50%

You could study the kde-plastik theme from kde sourcepackages, for example. Just do it!
If you like, you could add a section to the Wikibook KDE-Development (it's currently at its very beginnings and only in german "KDE-Entwicklung" http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/KDE_Entwicklung), but if you like I would try to translate it and you could help me a little bit and add a section for window decorations. I'm also frustrated with the documentation/tutorials/books for kde programming, therefore I started this Wiki-Book. I'm thankful for every help!!!

Opensource is not a matter of price.
It is a different experience of information technologies.

Re: Re: Re: writing

by vanyar on: Feb 7 2005

Score 50%

Yes, but what about pixmap themes?
In gtk there are a lot of pixmaps themes and they are beautiful and elegant. But in kde we have only a few themes mostly plastik variations and we don't have much choice, but in gtk there are hundreds of themes. That is the only thing I think GNOME is far superior to kde (well, maybe simplicity).

Pixmaps styles

by peroxid on: Feb 13 2005

Score 50%

There are hundreds of pixmaps themes, that in many cases are small variations ones from anothers.

You can get one pixmap style already done and hack it. Or make a mockup and propose it. I am looking for a good idea.

BTW, pixmaps styles are not resource optimal.

Re: Re: writing styles

by peroxid on: Feb 13 2005

Score 50%

Well, the howto is the QStyle class doc (and the QPainter one). You draw primitives in the drawPrimitive method (logic). Then you draw the widgets using the primitives (or not) in drawControl (again logic). More complex widgets are draw in, guess it?, drawComplexControl. After you have all implemented, Take care of widget sizes with sizeFromContets, and the "inside things" place with subRect. It's pretty easy. After that just tune with pixelMetric.

And you have many code to look to see how other people does the stuff. Even you have the widget code to see how the style mthods are used!. Remember that you do not steal code, you reuse code :) (I love GPL)

Take a style and hack it, that's how I think everybody starts. Do not hesitate to mail me if you have any question. I think the rest of style coders here has not any problems answering specific questions, if you RTFD, but I can not talk for them.

Noatun's Own Skins

by OmniUni on: Feb 1 2005

Score 50%

Just recently, I have been starting to design skins for Noatun. The more I work on them, however, the more I get ideas for the way that skins SHOULD work. Unfortunately, I lack the programming skills to start a project myself, but here is my idea.

There should be a project to develop a generic skinning language (GSL). This should be a clean, easy and extensible way to create skins for ANY application. The skins would be named [name].gsl.[application extention], for example MySkin.gsl.noa, with noa meaning that that skin is built for Noatun. GSL would support alpha transparency, modes, generic windows, menues, animation, and other commands could be easily added for new applications or features (such as embedded visualizations).

The greatest benefit would be that with GSL an application can be made to help create skins with less development and coding, opening skin development to artists who may not know how to codee, and that this application could be used for ANY application that supports GSL.

As Noatun does not yet support a purely "Noatun Skin" I think it is a good place to start. I have plenty of ideas on how to structure the skin files to support all of these features, but I would need someone willing and able to write the code to help. If anyone thinks that this is a good idea, please let me know, whether you can help or not.

Thank you for your input.

OmniUni

Re: Noatun's Own Skins

by mETz on: Feb 1 2005

Score 50%

I'd be against another skin format as long as there's only one project actually using it. That's also the reason why I never enhanced the kjofol format for noatun-specific behaviour.

Statusbar status

by geflei on: Feb 4 2005

Hi all,

I have a problem with remembering and restoring the status for the status-, menu-, toolbars.

As I understand it setAutoSaveSettings() should take care of that, shouldn't it?
Because I have reimplemented closeEvent() I put there an saveAutoSaveSettings(), but that doesn't help.

Any hints?

BTW: the app is KLinPopup 0.2.1pre

Thanks, Gerd

Add Statusbar status

by geflei on: Feb 6 2005

Score 50%

What I mean is not the position and so on, that works. I mean enabled/disabled status.

Greetings, Gerd

Python autocompletio

by minkiux on: Feb 16 2005

Hi all!
Can anyone tell me if there is a python editor (even Kate) with a good python autocompletion. I mean a feature like JBuilder or JDeveloper (for java). API-based autocompletion.

So, I like to see available choise (methods and properties) on a particulary object when I simple write "object_name."

Thanks!

Re: Python autocompl

by p0z3r on: Feb 17 2005

Try this:

It looks kinda like what you wanted.
I don't use it personally though. I just use 'vi'.

cheers,
-p0z3r

Re: Re: Python autocompl

by minkiux on: Feb 18 2005

Score 50%

Thanks a lot! Yes, I use vi & kwrite, too, but now I need a more powerfull IDE. This look meets my needs.

Re: Python autocompletio

by Spooky on: Feb 25 2005

eric 3: http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

wingide: http://wingware.com

^^ wing is one of the best i think :D

Add commentAdd commentBack

How do you like Plasma 5?
 The best KDE Desktop ever.
 Definitely a nice improvement.
 Not decided yet. Haven't tried it yet.
 I do not like some of the changes.
 KDE is taking the wrong way.
 I am still sticking with KDE 3.5.
 I have no opinion, but wanted to vote anyway.

resultmore